Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Fallen Log

I went for a walk through the woods recently and took several photos and I realize now I need to learn how to make a collage like some in my PLN have done. Several years ago we had a severe ice storm and lost this tree in the back woods. We chose to leave it so that wild critters would have a home. The girth of the tree at its trunk is tremendous, while holding hands my husband and I could not reach around it.

The tree is a Sycamore tree. The park rangers tell the students that they can recognize a Sycamore tree by its bark because the tree gets sicker and sicker as it goes up the tree. I thought that was cute and use it with my students on nature walks. Hopefully, I will be able to post at some point this year the difference between White Oak leaves and those of the Red Oak. Cool saying for the difference there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment